No two meetings are the same. What questions will I ask?
- Tell me about yourself.
- What is important about money, to you?
- Is anything financial keeping you up at night?
- What feels like your financial priority?
- Do you know how much money you need to live the life you want?
- What inspires you?
- Where do you see yourself living in 10 years?
- Do you have any worries about the future?
- What steps or plans do you have in place right now?
- (if you have a family and kids) Tell me about your children? How do you feel about paying for college? What plans have you made? How much life insurance do you have?
- What do you love to do in your free time?
- How do you feel about debt?
- How do you think about investment risk?
- Do you have an emergency fund?
- How will you measure success in our work together a year from now? Five years from now?
- Is there anything else you would like to discuss right now?
(yes, feel free to think about this ahead of time!)
I record this meeting to be engaged without the need to take detailed notes. I may have the audio file transcribed for reference and create a summary of our meetings to share.
Your personal balance sheet. Assets and liabilities.
We create an organized picture of where you are today - your personal balance sheet.
- How much do you have in savings?
- What do you have in investment and retirement accounts?
- Do you own your home?
- Credit card debt, mortgage balance, other loans?
Where does your financial trek lead? Your goals.
Let's try and make some great guesses and assumptions about what you want life to look like in the future.
The financial plan.
What are the next two or three things you need to do in order to get yourself a couple of steps closer to the destination? We don’t want to worry about a list of 100 things because then nothing gets done. Instead, what are the two or three things you need to do in order to get yourself close to your goal? My goal will be to provide you with the shortest plan possible, typically around 10 pages, that will be backed up by many more pages of data, which I’m happy to share with you.
Rinse, repeat and evolve.
Integrated planning and investing is a process. Goals and markets change. We must keep repeating the process. Long gone are the days of static, leather bound financial plans with pages and pages of detail you won't read, don't need and are filled with assumptions that become mostly meaningless the moment the meeting ends. It's less about the document and more about the process. We will typically meet two or three more times in the first couple of months, and then the frequency of ongoing meetings is up to you, but typically 2 to 3 times a year is about right (in addition to the once or twice yearly tax strategy meetings with John McCarthy CPA).
Do you have a budget? Yes, you need a budget.
We create budgets for awareness and mindfulness around spending, not for limiting ourselves. We want to be to intentional with our spending. Does this get me closer to my goals? Is this aligned with my values?
Mind mapping. Our trail map for your financial trek.
I will create a mind map to organize your financial ecosystem. I use a system called Mindmeister to do this, and you will have access to the map. Additionally, I will add the next two of three things you need to do to make progress for your plan into Right Capital, for us to track and evolve.
How do I recommend we invest?
(broadly speaking, of course).
I integrate comprehensive financial planning with a smart, yet simple, approach to investment management — crafting portfolios with low costs, global diversification, tilted to the dimensions of higher expected returns and sustainability (ESG) — what I call functional investing.
Who I Work With
I work with owners, employees and advocates of Certified B Corporations. What if I don't work for B Corp? Can we still work together? Yes! That's what we call an "advocate". Do you believe in the power of business acting a force for good? If so, then we might be a great fit.
I'd love to hear your thoughts. Email me at email@example.com or give me a call at (303) 285-9241.